Dear Upper School Community,
I hope that you are easing into fall comfortably. With mid-trimester grades in and about to be posted and with Homecoming just around the corner, certainly the campus is buzzing. As a reminder, mid-trimester marks are a "snap shot" in time of your child's progress. They are meant as a check-in and can prompt fruitful discussion as your child grasps new concepts and skills.
I wanted to call your attention to some exciting new work on which members of the foreign language department are working. Alex Gomez, Spanish teacher, explains, "Video Podcasts are becoming increasingly popular in education. Many colleges and universities are starting to provide their students with video podcasts of recorded class lectures. With the advances in educational technology, our vodcasting assignments will make it possible for us to use class time effectively by allowing students to automatically download new materials. It will allow them to repeatedly view the clips as needed outside of class. If you’ve seen a TV weather report in the last twenty years or more you’ve seen a Chorma Key video effect in action. I decided to use that same concept for my classes. We plan to create audio and video podcasts (vodcasting) that are tightly integrated into the curriculum and will foster and enhance the concepts and skills addressed in our Spanish class."
Also, on October 24 Parker is pleased to participate in "Food Day." This is a "nationwide campaign for delicious, healthy, and affordable food produced in a sustainable humane way." This day is designed to "inspire Americans to improve their diets and fix our food system" by "promoting safe and healthy foods."
All Upper School Grades
- Support your student’s Homecoming Booth! Please see below for more details for each grade level.
- The Float Building Dinner Committee needs volunteers to bring desserts to school on Oct 19th. Please contact Kris Finfer at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spirit Week and Homecoming is this Week!
- Panel Presentations for Students - Monday, October 17th 8:05 a.m. (11th/12th gr.) and 9:15 a.m. (9th/10th gr.) "How to Stay Safe During Homecoming....and Beyond"
- Float building - Wednesday, October 19th, 3 to 8 pm.
- Powder-puff football game - Friday, October 21st, 7 - 9 pm, boys’ cheer and girls’ flag football game.
- Homecoming Day - October 22nd, 11 am to 3 pm.
Homecoming Dance - October 22nd at 8 pm to 11 p.m..
And looking ahead......
October 15th: Robotics competition all day
October 26th: Unplugged music event
October 27th at 6:00 pm there will be an interim trip meeting in Crivello. Please see the link for four one-week trip offerings being offered for February's interim week.
Class of 2012
Class of 2014
- Thank you to 10th grade parents Jeff Platt and Vicki Austin-Smith who volunteered to help at the 10th grade student class dinner last week, along with the 10th grade parent reps and faculty advisors. The dinner was a huge success!
School Supply Drive
“Golf is the hook; education is the payoff”
Ernest Wright, Sr. Founder of Pro Kids Golf
Pro Kids Golf is an organization whose mission is to impact the lives of inner-city kids through programs that promote education, character development, life skills and positive values through the game of golf. The after school tutoring program is in need of the following school supplies.
Please bring items for this program to your advisor by October 21.
Pens - Pencils - Erasers - Glue Sticks - Scissors - Markers - Folders
Construction Paper - Colored Pencils - Highlighters - Index Cards
Questions? Contact Grant Adams, Class of 2012
Or Mrs. Jensen in the Community Service Office
Friday October, 14, 2011 at 01:50PM