News for the Week of January 29
I trust that it was a splendid week for you.
I hope that you got the chance to see Sweeney Todd. It was a powerful and wonderful production under the guidance of Gordon Cantiello. Well done!
This week I had the chance to attend briefly a wonderful class by the 10th grade Chemistry teacher, Hima Joshi. "It was time for you her yearly "America's Next Top Model: Chemistry Edition" Music, costumes, and molecular models! That was the scene this week in Dr. Joshi's chemistry class. Dramatic runway walks with molecular models turned into scholarly discussions about the benefits, side effects, and societal impacts of various drugs. Panels of judges were on site to award prizes to the following winners":
1st period: Sarah Benjamin and Sammy Rodriguez - Caffeine
2nd period: McKenna Allard, Mackenzie Rowe, and Sophie Woods - Penicillin
6th period: Michela Rodriguez and Audrey Yang - Vitamin C
7th period: Kim Svatos and Jay Gardenswartz - PCP; Arielle Swedback and Elisa Greenberg - LSD
Looking ahead, I hope that you are able to fit some of the below activities into your calendar.
All Upper School Grades
- Rose Gallery Opening for acclaimed artist Rima Fujita on Thursday February 2 from 5-7pm.
- US Dance Concert on February 3 at 3:15-4 pm and 5-6 pm in Crivello Hall.
- US Winter Formal on February 4 from 7-10pm on the Lancer Lawn. (Students only, unless you want to embarrass your children.)
- Mayoral Candidates Visit Parker: Bonnie Dumanis March 8th 11:20-12:10 and Nathan Fletcher March 28th 11:20-12:10 both in the Nicholas Commons.
- Summer Science Internships: Applications are now on line for the High School Student Research Education Program (host of the Life Science Summer Institute) offered through the Kellogg School of The Scripps Research Institute. For dates, detailed descriptions, eligibility requirements and application procedures, please visit education.scripps.edu. For questions or additional information contact Marisela Chevez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class of 2012
- Thank you to all senior parents and fans who attended Friday's Senior Night for our Girls' and Boys' Basketball Teams. It was truly a memorable night!
Friday January, 27, 2012 at 04:59PM