News for the Week of April 16
Dear Upper School Parents,
I hope that you had a great week.
As you might know, our robotics team had a great season. Team advisor Ryan Griggs wrote a summary of the exciting happenings:
"During Spring Break, the Francis Parker FIRST robotics team, team 2485, the W.A.R. Lords (We Are Robot Lords) went to the Las Vegas FIRST Robotics Competition in an effort to try once more to qualify for the FIRST World Championship. In San Diego, the team earned the Xerox Creativity Award for their unique and distinctive look, and was only eliminated from the field of play during the quarter finals due mainly to a red card pulled unintentionally by an alliance partner. In Vegas, the team’s experience in San Diego led to an amazingly successful end to the season. The W.A.R. Lords earned the Quality Award for the robot’s robustness in concept and fabrication. Furthermore, the W.A.R. Lords earned 3rd place out of 42 teams in the qualification matches, which allowed them the distinction of being an alliance captain, thus allowing them to select two other teams to compete with them in the Las Vegas Regional Finals, which play out as elimination matches, best of 3. After a bit of bad luck in the first match of the quarter finals, the team made it through the remainder of the quarter final matches, into the semi-finals, and entered into the finals. The final set of matches was against an alliance that had the 1st place team, which was undefeated in Los Angeles or Las Vegas. The Francis Parker robotics team’s journey ended in the finals when during their second match of the set of three they lost to the winning alliance 75 to 74. It was later determined to be the closest match the undefeated team had ever had, and we suspect it was one of the highest total points scored (summing the points from both side) of all the matches in Las Vegas. Essentially the team came away from the game play portion of the event in 2nd place. As an added bonus, Steve Wozniak of Apple fame (a.k.a. the Woz) was a judge at the event and signed our robot. It was a truly spectacular effort, and the team is well deserving of the commendations they have earned.
Check out some of the highlights on our YouTube channel, including our Chairman’s video, our intense final match, and the Woz signing our robot, known to us as Yaroslav, the Wise."
Our arts program is bustling this time of the year, as you can see below:
Barry Cheskaty notes:
New Rose Gallery Show "Down the Street"
This exhibition features work by current undergraduate students of USD's Department of Art, Architecture + Art History, with an accompanying selection of work by recent alumni. Contributions from across the sub-disciplines of the visual arts (painting and drawing, sculpture, photography, visual communications and new media) and across the curriculum (lower-division classes to senior thesis projects and beyond) are represented. Parker's Visual Arts Department will be hosting a show opening Thursday, April 19th from 5:30 to 7:30pm. Refreshments will be served. If you are planning to attend the opening night the Upper School Theater production of "The Laramie Project" plan to come early and see the USD show in the Rose Gallery.
Deb Stern notes:
The US Dance Program presents their annual Spring Dance Concert on Thursday, April 26 at 3:15 pm, and on Friday, April 27 at 1:45 pm in Crivello Hall. The performances will showcase original student choreography. The performers are: Patricia Fernandez, Elisa Greenberg, Kyra Ghosh, Elizabeth Jackson, Matt Margulis, Marcy Melville, Molly O'Meara, Taylor Romero, Sarah Schnell, Alexandra Skinner, and Carlee Wallace. The show is 30 minutes in length and admission is Free! Please join us in supporting the dance program at Parker!
All the best,
Paul I. Barsky
All Upper School Grades
- The Parker Gala is May 5, 2012: Where can you learn to fly, drink from a martini luge, and party like it’s 1912? At the Gala FOUNDERS’ BALL! We’ll link you up with all the Auction Fun you can handle, the best food in San Diego, dancing to live music and even a club lounge. Have friends? Invite ‘em! Need friends? You’ll make ‘em! And it’s all for a GREAT CAUSE: OUR KIDS!! Reserve Now!
- There will be an Alumni Networking Reception on April 19th from 6:00 to 9:00 pm at the W Hotel. Register online here.
- The Upper School Theatre production of The Laramie Project will be performed on April 19th, 20th, and 21st from 7:00 to 9:30 pm in the Amelita Galli-Curci Theatre.
- Prom Dinner and Dance will be held on April 28th from 5:30 to 11:00 pm. The theme will be Bollywood and the location is the Westin Hotel in Downtown San Diego.
Class of 2012
- Information regarding all the senior year-end events and activities is being compiled and will be posted on the website. As soon as that link is available, senior parents will be notified.
Friday April, 13, 2012 at 02:54PM
Choose groups to clone to: