News for the Week of April 23
Dear Upper School Parents,
This has been a powerful week to say the least. It started off with the Every Fifteen Minutes program which in a very real and moving way addresses the dangers of drinking and driving. Marc Thiebach spent close to a year preparing for the two-day program which uses our students, parents, law enforcement, medical personnel, and the fire department to demonstrate the grim realities of drinking and driving. I do hope that we have convinced members of our community not to make a decision which can destroy lives so easily.
After this emotional program, I was able to take 22 students to hear the Dalai Lama speak at USD. The students were profoundly impressed by this Noble Prize laureate. I was particularly interested in hearing his thoughts about compassion and the value of optimism.
Last night, the drama class performed "The Laramie Project," which uses the brutal murder of a young man as a backdrop to explore issues surrounding hate crimes, bias, and injustice. This was followed up by a panel led by a Parker parent, Catherine Thiemann, and Fernado Lopez whos is the Administrative and Public Affairs Director for San Diego Pride.
As several parents noted this is the kind of week which makes one proud to be a member of this community.
All Upper School Grades
- The Parker Gala is May 5, 2012: Where can you learn to fly, drink from a martini luge, and party like it’s 1912? At the Gala FOUNDERS’ BALL! We’ll link you up with all the Auction Fun you can handle, the best food in San Diego, dancing to live music and even a club lounge. Have friends? Invite ‘em! Need friends? You’ll make ‘em! And it’s all for a GREAT CAUSE: OUR KIDS!! Reserve Now!
- The Upper School Dance Concert will be held on April 26th at 3:15 in Crivello Hall.
- The Lancer Orchestra Concert will be held on April 26th at 7 pm in Crivello Hall.
- Prom Dinner and Dance will be held on April 28th from 5:30 to 11:00 pm at the Westin Hotel downtown.
- AP Exams will be held from May 7th through May 18th.
Class of 2012
- Information regarding all the senior year-end events and activities is being compiled and will be posted on the website. As soon as that link is available, senior parents will be notified.
Class of 2013
- The National College Fair will be held at the San Diego Convention Center on April 26th from 6-8:30 pm.
- The Coastline Case Studies Program will be held on April 30th at 6 pm at La Jolla Country Day School. This program is only for juniors and their parents.
Saturday April, 21, 2012 at 09:56PM