Students should always contact the agency ahead of time to confirm an event's date and time.
Summer Volunteer Opportunities at City of San Diego Parks and Recreation.
Bayside Community Center
What: After-school tutoring
When: 230pm to 530pm Monday through Friday (ongoing)
Where: 2202 Comstock St.; San Diego, CA 92111
- Come to the Community Service Office to sign up or contact the volunteeer coordinator at (858) 278-0771, x 3015
- Please visit www.baysidecc.org for more information about this organization.
City of San Diego Parks and Recreation
What: Therapeutic Recreation Services provides sports, recreation, leisure and outreach services to children and adults with physical, mental and emotional disabilities.
- There is a mandatory orientation prior to volunteer service.
- Please contact Marie Wiggins for more information or to sign up. Call Ms. Wiggins fat 619-236-7753 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What: "Peer Pals" are needed to interact with school aged children on the autism spectrum.Volunteers would join the participants on community outings or assist in
activities at the center.
When: Both one-time and ongoing opportunities are available for this project after school or on Saturdays.
- Please call (858) 603-9835 or visit includeautism.org
- Interested students can obtain information and sign up with Mr. Hunt in the Community Service Office.
- Volunteers must have a liability waiver signed by a parent or guardian prior to participation in this project.These waivers are available in the Community Service Office.
Father Joe's Village / St. Vincent de Paul
What: Serving breakfast, lunch, dinner to homeless
Breakfast: 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Lunch: 10:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Dinner: 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
St. Vincent de Paul Village
1501 Imperial Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101
- Volunteers under 15 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Volunteers must sign up ahead of time.
- Visit www.svdpv.org for more information.
Friends of Famosa Slough
What: Habitat Restoration Work Party
When: Every Other Month
Where: Meet at the southeast corner of West Pt. Loma Boulevard and Famosa Boulevard in the Ocean Beach/Point Loma area.
- Students under 18 years of age will need approval of parent or legal guardian.
- For more information, call 619/224-4591, or see our web site at www.FamosaSlough.org. The "Map" page has directions to reach the Slough.
Habitat for Humanity ReStore
What: The ReStore is a building materials thrift store.
Where: 10222 San Diego Mission Rd. in Mission Valley, east of Qualcomm Stadium
Jewish Family Service HandUp Youth Food Pantry
What: HandUp provides meals to San Diego's homeless population and military families living on Camp Pendleton. Students are needed to travel to Camp Pendleton to distribute the food and provide activities for the children on base.
When: One Sunday a month
Sundays, 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Where: First Presbyterian Church
320 Date St.
San Diego, CA 92101
- Donations of food, clothing, and hygiene items are greatly appreciated!
**Interested students must sign up in the Community Service Office or email Ms. Marai Braswell at email@example.com by the Wednesday to their intended volunteer service.
La Jolla Youth Soccer League
Volunteers are needed to assist with TOPSoccer, a program that provides soccer coaches and mentors for kids who are physically or mentally challenged.
What: Mama's Kitchen is a non-profit organization that prepares and delivers food to men, women, and children who are affected by AIDS or other critical illnesses.
Where: 1875 Second Ave. San Diego, CA 92101.
Please call (619) 233-MAMA or visit www.mamaskitchen.org for more information.
The New Children's Museum
What: The museum is looking for enthusiastic volunteers who love working with children and have a strong interest in contemporary art. The following roles are available for volunteers: museum ambassador, gallery guide, studio facilitator, school tour guide, birthday party helper, and special events.
Please contact Volunteer Programs at (619) 233-8792, x114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Diego Rescue Mission
What: Serving lunch or dinner
When: Lunch service arrival time:10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Dinner service arrival time:3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
- Volunteers must sign up ahead of time (there is a limit of 10 volunteers per meal).
- Ongoing opportunities are available for meal service, thrift store help, and cleaning of the emergency services department at the Mission.See Mr. Hunt for further information.
- Contact: Deborah Williams at email@example.com to sign up.
- Visit www.sdrescue.org for more information.
San Diego River Park Foundation
What: River Cleanup
When: 2nd and 4th Saturday each month
- No experience is needed, just a willingness to spend a couple of hours helping the River.
- Check the River Calendar for the next event.
- Questions? Contact Shannon at 619-297-7380
What: Beach cleanups
Where: Various locations throughout San Diego county
When: Saturdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Complete schedule available at www.surfridersd.org/beachcleanups.php and directions available at www.surfridersd.org
- For additional information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please wear close-toed shoes, comfortable clothing, and sunscreen. Gloves and bags will be provided.
- Heavy rain cancels the event, but the event will be held in light rain.
- All volunteers under 18 years of age must have a liability waiver signed by a parent or guardian present at the beginning of the event.Click on the link below to print out a copy or visit the Community Service Office to obtain one.
Teen Senior Connect
What: High School student volunteers assist seniors in acquiring computer technology skills.
- American Red Cross
- Audubon Society
- Autism Tree Project Foundation
- Balboa Park Museums
- Bayside Community Center
- Boys and Girls Club
- Children’s Hospital
- City of San Diego/
- Canoe Club
- CRASH Options for Recovery
- Escondido Humane Society
- Famosa Slough
- Feeding America
- Friends of Cats
- Habitat for Humanity
- Helen Woodward Animal Center
- Hunger Project
- Include Autism
- Jewish Family Service
- Just Call Us Volunteers
- Hand Up Youth Food Pantry
- Kids Korps
- Ladle Fellowship
- La Jolla Youth Soccer League/
- Mama’s Kitchen
- Meals on Wheels
- New Children’s Museum
- Polinsky Center
- Public Libraries
- Ronald McDonald House
- Salvation Army
- San Diego Blood Bank
- San Diego Food Bank
- San Diego Rescue Mission
- San Diego River Park Foundation
- Senior Community Centers
- Serving Spoons
- Special Olympics
- Sports 4 Exceptional Athletes
- St. Vincent de Paul
- Teen Senior Connect
- Therapeutic Recreational Services
- TOPS Soccer Program